Re: [SLE] system tray vs ./kde/Autostart
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 16:46:09 +0200
On Saturday 20 May 2006 16:30, Peter Van Lone wrote:
> There are several apps (amarok, skype, gaim, knotes, etc ) on my
> SUSE10 installation that "autostart" but none of them are in my
> .kde/Autostart directory.
>
> Rather, they are in the "system tray".
>
> I have been able to find ONE TINY SPACE on the panel/kicker that
> allows me to get to the "configure system tray" menu item, but that
> appears to only allow hide/show of current icons. I browsed the help
> system and the user manual, without finding what I am looking for. And
> a google provided really only a couple developer discussions ....
>
> So, my questions:
>
> 1) how does one add-remove items from the "system tray"?

Usually by a right-click on its systemtray icon, followed by a click on
'Quit'.

> 2)WHY would one autostart an app from the "system tray" instead of
> putting a shortcut into .kde/Autostart?

That depends on the application. Some applications settle themselves
automatically in the systemtray (e.g. KMix, KRandr), others have an option in
their configuration (Settings dialog) to enable embedding in the systemtray
(Amarok, KMail, Kaffeine). And there is another "proggy" whose name I forgot,
that can embed any other application in the systemtray.

BTW, systemtray and autostart are two different things.

If an application cannot be 'autostarted' by itself (e.g. by embedding it in
the system tray), then I would use the Autostart folder.

Cheers,

Leen