Re: [SLE] General comments about 10.1 retail (box)
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:58:13 +0200
On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 12:23 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> I can't really tell you the difference. I don't really want to download all
> that stuff, and I like to support SuSE with my purchase. But I'll admit that
> the box is becoming less and less desirable. I was running 9.3 on my laptop
> and was waiting to bring it up to 10.1. Lots of work to do to accomplish
> that, including madwifi.

Well, the reason I purchased SUSE before (various SuSE/SUSE x.x Pro and
SLES) was:

1. Because I like the distro - it's different from most everything I've
used, in that everything is well designed, well through trough, works in
a logical way - has that solid "German Engineering" feel to it.

2. Considering #1, I like to support the people that do such wonderful
work.

3. Because SUSE was always pitched at people who need stuff to just work
and work reliably at that. Hence some of the commercial stuff (drivers
especially) have always been included, which is a *big* advantage,
because it saves me a lot of time when setting up servers for clients.
Time is money...

But the last two releases have become less and less like the SUSE I got
to know and love, and more and more like the unstable and buggy
development distro that is Fedora.

With each successive release of SUSE I find myself rebuilding more and
more source rpms, just to get stuff to work the way they used to. With
the last two releases, for the first time since I started to use SUSE
(circa 6.1), I've had to grab srpms from older versions and build them
on the newer release. I find my list of reasons to choose SUSE growing
shorter with every release.

To be honest, I've already started builing mail servers with Debian
Sarge, instead of SUSE, simply because in the time it takes SUSE, I can
have Debian installed and everyting set up and working.

SUSE is still my favourite Desktop distro by a fair stretch (even more
so after trying out Gentoo for a couple of months). I just like the way
KDE is built. I like the fact that my notebook's dynamic cpu frequency
scaling works correct and power management in general is something I
don't have to think about - it just works.

Hans