Re: [SLE] General comments about 10.1 retail (box)
  • From: michael norman <michaeltnorman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:27:34 +0100
On Saturday 20 May 2006 17:08, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 11:19 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > 2) madwifi has gone missing (that's pretty serious)
>
> [snip]
>
> So what do we get in the retail box that we don't get between the 5 OSS
> CDs and the extra non-OSS CDs?
>
> I burned a significant part of my monthly bandwidth quota to download
> the OSS version, and I like it and have almost everything I need so far
> (still busy hacking on it). I was going to buy the retail box when it
> finally hit our shores, but now I don't know.
>
> madwifi is one of only a handful of things I haven't gotten around to
> setting up yet, and one of the reasons I buy the box - so I don't have
> to mess with building kernel modules...
>
> Hans

I've bought every retail box since 6.1 and I've still got them all. I was
going to buy 10.1 but now I don't think I will. I already downloaded the non
oss DVD and installed it, which gives me everything I need and works fine,
albeit with a bit of getting used to the new package management. I thought
wifi would be a problem but I managed to set up my ralink card on my second
box using these instructions :
https://linux.wordpress.com/2006/05/14/suse-101-and-rt2500-wi-fi (thanks to
Bjorn Lie)

in about 10 minutes, so I don't need the retail box for that.

In addition the book you get really aren't much use, I've found the Wiley
Bibles for 9 and 10 much better and will probably get one for 10.1 should
they do one..

I bought all the previous versions because I wanted to help SuSE to continue
in existence, but I can't see that as an issue now it's part of Novell.

Having said all that, I still feel partly disloyal, and I might still buy it
if they put the stickers and badges and things back in, and perhaps a t-shirt
or two.

Mike

< Previous Next >