Re: [SLE] Can't Boot Init 5 with Suse 10 OSS
  • From: James Wright <jwright01@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:50:39 -0400
Alexey Eremenko wrote:
two recommendations:
1) show us what "cat /proc/cpuinfo" returns.
In Failsafe Mode (the only way I can get to init 3) with option nosmp and maxcpu=0 (so this may not be relevent) is:
linux:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 449.011
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 899.09

_______________________________

After a reboot into failsafe without the nosmp and maxcpu=0 I now get:

linux:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 449.011
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 899.12

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 449.011
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 897.99

2) try to start sax2 from console - in VESA mode.
linux:~ # sax2 --vesa 0:800x600@60
SaX: initializing please wait...
SaX: no X-Server is running
SaX: will start own server if needed
SaX: including [Driver:0] profile: Depth24...
SaX: including [Driver:0] profile: NVidia...
SaX: calling [Driver:0] profile script: NVidia.sh
SaX: startup

(here is where it stops responding and I reboot)

I get the same with lower resolutions too. I am using a CTX CRT monitor. I am running these tests through SSH to make it easier to paste the results. When I run sax2 the monitor goes black on the computer in question and locks the SSH session.

3) the installation you did - was in graphical or text mode?
I started out in graphical. When the first CD finished the reboot would not complete. I then finished the install by booting to failsafe.
Thanks.

- James W.