Re: [SLE] Can't Boot Init 5 with Suse 10 OSS
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 20:15:29 -0400
On Saturday 20 May 2006 14:50, James Wright wrote:

Hi James,

I have to apologize... your original post threw me completely off track. Your
subject line and first paragraph contained important clues that I overlooked
because they were overshadowed by the volume of information you later
supplied.

Those clues were:

> When I try a normal boot it freezes... I can boot to init 3 no problem.

and

> I can not start sax2 (screen goes blank and freezes the computer).

and

> I can not access the graphic card settings using YaST2 (same thing, it
> freezes).

If you'd simply stopped there, I and others would have immediately recognized
this as a very common problem... affectionately known as the 'black screen of
death'. ;-) This is a graphics adapter configuration problem. It *isn't*
necessarily just a driver/module problem, but it's too soon to make that
determination.

In the meantime, chances are very good that the whole of your Linux system is
correctly installed. You just can't run it in graphics mode, i.e. use X,
until this part of your configuration is straightened out.

The few threads I've been able to study show that people have successfully run
SuSE 9.1 Pro on that hardware... some even in dual head mode... but they've
had to pay particular attention to the allocation of resources in the BIOS...
like the 'old days.' ;-)

Fortunately, being able to operate at run level 3 makes diagnostics and
configuration 'tweaking' a lot easier. Ready to 'start over' with some
targeted diagnostics?

Carl