Re: [SLE] Media mount failure when adding new installation source from DVD?
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 07:45:16 -0500
On Sunday 21 May 2006 3:41 am, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Yes, I checked and found that the master/slave settings were right and
> that the DVD power cable was a little loose. Tightened everything up
> again. Well both optical drives are on the same IDE channel, as they can
> be. The CDROM works fine but the DVD does not read from a DVD, even after
> delving into the box, but tries the CDROM when I add a new source from a
> DVD.

Another thing to try is setting both devices to Cable Select/CS and making
sure the master device is at the end of the cable, the slave device is in
the middle and the mainboard is on the other end of the IDE cable.

I've fixed more than a few system's CD/DVD drive problems this way. I still
haven't found out the magic of which mainboard/BIOS and devices actually
require cable select versus master/slave. Ran out of chickens to
sacrifice...

Another thing to check is firmware on the CD and DVD devices.
www.CDFreaks.com may have information on any firmware updates for your
drives that could improve performance, allow more formats to be
read/written, etc.

Stan

< Previous Next >