Re: [SLE] Xgl on legacy nvidia cards
  • From: Alvaro Kuolas <kuolas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:40:27 -0300
James Watkins wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just for a laugh I thought I'd try and get Xgl/compiz going on my
> old Riva TNT2. After a lot of faffing about getting the nvidia driver
> patched, I managed to start Xgl. Shortly after logging in everything
> slows up to a near halt, however, there doesn't seem to be much CPU
> activity or excessive memory usage. Bear in mind that I hadn't
> started compiz at this point (in fact I couldn't get it going at all
> but that's another story) so I wasn't using any of the fancy effects.
> Essentially Xgl was struggling to do with hardware acceleration what
> Xorg was doing perfectly well before in software.
> So, has anyone got an idea why I'm seeing this poor performance, or
> failing that, I'm sure there's someone who could clear up my
> misunderstanding of how Xgl actually works.
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
>
> James.
>
> PS - I'm using opensuse 10.1

Try first with Blender 2.40. I can't...
(TNT2 and 1.0-7174 mmm... bad mix)

The worst part is: no possibly DRI driver for this 7 years old video card.
How well is Utah-GLX?

When was released the Powerful GeForce2 Ultra?
People who wasted.. err.. spend a lot of cash on that board now they are
hopeless (With XGL that's is.)

</rant>