Re: [SLE] SUSE 10.1 -- quite impressive -- thanks to SuSE team
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:15:53 +0100
On 23/05/06, Chaitanya Chalasani <chaitanya.chalasani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I received my SuSE 10.1 Box yesterday through DHL. Removed the previous SuSE
10.0 installation ( after data backup ) and installed 10.1 with XFS this
time. The installation went very smoothly and significantly faster than 10.0.
The bugs in 10.0 that annoyed me are all gone now. Kde 3.5 is very
responsive. I tried XGL but not so quick on my Intel 910GL graphics chipset.
The new NetworkManager was buggy and so I moved to the traditional ifup.
Thanks for SuSE team for giving this option in configurations. XEN worked
pretty neatly also though I don't use it. I downloaded libdvdcss and
w32codecs and the xine now plays encrypted DVD's and mp3. I choose xine
engine for amarok and it plays mp3 beautiful. I could read my iPod using
ipod:/ kio_slave but amarok doesn't play directly from iPod, instead i have
to copy them to local folder and run them. I haven't yet checked the rest,
but so far damn impressive.

----
Chaitanya Chalasani.

What's the boot up time like compared to 10? I've heard it averages
out at twice as long to boot 10.1 This came from a Magazine
comparison that I read.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay