Re: [SLE] Xgl on legacy nvidia cards
  • From: James Watkins <misterwatto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:20:13 +0100
William Gallafent wrote:
On Tuesday 23 May 2006 04:34, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
[snip]
[re TNT2]

Those cards are 6+ generations** (over 5 years**) old.

[snip]

Exactly! ... since one can buy a brand new (and _much_
faster than TNT2) nVIDIA card (geforce mx4000) which _is_
supported by nVIDIA's accelerated drivers, on AGP for less
than UKP20 (or PCI for less than 30), then why not just do
that to use xgl? Then sell the TNT2 on eBay (to a museum ;)

Or, one could just install an old enough version of
xorg/XFree86 that you can use an old enough version of
nVIDIA's accelerated driver. Or port the UtahGLX driver to
DRI!

I thought this might provide some amusement. 5 years eh? How time
flies! 20 quid sounds worth a go although I fear the antiquity of the
rest of my pc almost matches the TNT2 (Athlon ~1.5GHz, 256MB RAM).
Just in case anyone cares, the nvidia driver (version 7174) does acually
compile under the standard suse 2.6.16 kernel with the aid of a patch as
described here:

http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

and I can run Xorg fine with this driver (verified by the nvidia splash
screen). Also, glxinfo reports that the nvidia driver is being used.
Anyway, I don't really care too much about whether Xgl will work on my
machine but rather why it doesn't work and how it's supposed to work. Does anyone know of any websites that give a good overview of how all of these components (Xorg, Xgl, OpenGL, Mesa, DRI, etc.) fit together?

Cheers,

James.

< Previous Next >