Re: [SLE] Xgl on legacy nvidia cards
  • From: Alvaro Kuolas <kuolas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:08:47 -0300
William Gallafent wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 May 2006 04:34, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> [snip]
> [re TNT2]
>
>> Those cards are 6+ generations** (over 5 years**) old.
>>
> [snip]
>
> Exactly! ... since one can buy a brand new (and _much_
> faster than TNT2) nVIDIA card (geforce mx4000) which _is_
> supported by nVIDIA's accelerated drivers, on AGP for less
> than UKP20 (or PCI for less than 30), then why not just do
> that to use xgl? Then sell the TNT2 on eBay (to a museum ;)
>
> Or, one could just install an old enough version of
> xorg/XFree86 that you can use an old enough version of
> nVIDIA's accelerated driver. Or port the UtahGLX driver to
> DRI!

What's wrong with you people!
Were is your GNU GPL spirit?

For now I just buy computer parts that have data sheets freely
available or enough information for a good driver.
That's a good way to support the really GNU/Linux Friendly enterprises.
...and support Linux in general.

But, on the Video Card segment... is though!
Just nVidia and ATI... both on war. Not a friendly situation.