Re: [SLE] Xgl on legacy nvidia cards
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:16:05 -0400
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 10:58 +0100, William Gallafent wrote:
> Exactly! ... since one can buy a brand new (and _much_
> faster than TNT2) nVIDIA card (geforce mx4000) which _is_
> supported by nVIDIA's accelerated drivers, on AGP for less
> than UKP20 (or PCI for less than 30), then why not just do
> that to use xgl? Then sell the TNT2 on eBay (to a museum ;)

Agreed. Although you have to be careful on AGP voltage.

Normally, anything NV28 or newer is AGP 3.0 _only_. That's a major
issue when it comes to voltage:
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/11/agp-agp-pro-pci-and-pci-x-voltage.html

But the NV18 (MX4000) cards are typically designed to be universally AGP
1.5/0.8V across AGP 3.0, 2.0 and even 1.0 (with rear exception)
compatible.

> Or, one could just install an old enough version of
> xorg/XFree86 that you can use an old enough version of
> nVIDIA's accelerated driver. Or port the UtahGLX driver to
> DRI!

The DRI/UtahGLX support for nVidia is pretty much NV0x only (maybe
NV10/15 limitedly) and _lacks_ features for compiz last time I checked.

Those developments were based on -- and I wish more people knew this --
nVidia's *100% SOURCE CODE RELEASE WITH OPENGL/GLX ACCELERATION!* Yes,
nVidia released 100% of the source code in the XFree86 3.3.x days,
changing identifiers and other things to protect IP.

Unfortunately, it didn't stop the lawyers from Intel, Microsoft and
others from sending cease'n desist letters. That's when nVidia decided
to move the 3D code to an unified model across all OSes, with a dynamic
loader.

Intel's IP is at the heart of ATI and nVidia's kernel driver. IP Intel
itself won't release for its own Linux drivers, but key to the unified
model. Long story.

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com