Re: [SLE] Xgl on legacy nvidia cards
  • From: Alvaro Kuolas <kuolas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:10:33 -0300
Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 10:58 +0100, William Gallafent wrote:
>
>> Exactly! ... since one can buy a brand new (and _much_
>> faster than TNT2) nVIDIA card (geforce mx4000) which _is_
>> supported by nVIDIA's accelerated drivers, on AGP for less
>> than UKP20 (or PCI for less than 30), then why not just do
>> that to use xgl? Then sell the TNT2 on eBay (to a museum ;)
>>

> Agreed. Although you have to be careful on AGP voltage.
>
> Normally, anything NV28 or newer is AGP 3.0 _only_. That's a major
> issue when it comes to voltage:
> http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/11/agp-agp-pro-pci-and-pci-x-voltage.html
>
> But the NV18 (MX4000) cards are typically designed to be universally AGP
> 1.5/0.8V across AGP 3.0, 2.0 and even 1.0 (with rear exception)
> compatible.
>

>> Or, one could just install an old enough version of
>> xorg/XFree86 that you can use an old enough version of
>> nVIDIA's accelerated driver. Or port the UtahGLX driver to
>> DRI!
>>

> The DRI/UtahGLX support for nVidia is pretty much NV0x only (maybe
> NV10/15 limitedly) and _lacks_ features for compiz last time I checked.
>
> Those developments were based on -- and I wish more people knew this --
> nVidia's *100% SOURCE CODE RELEASE WITH OPENGL/GLX ACCELERATION!* Yes,
> nVidia released 100% of the source code in the XFree86 3.3.x days,
> changing identifiers and other things to protect IP.
>
> Unfortunately, it didn't stop the lawyers from Intel, Microsoft and
> others from sending cease'n desist letters. That's when nVidia decided
> to move the 3D code to an unified model across all OSes, with a dynamic
> loader.
>
> Intel's IP is at the heart of ATI and nVidia's kernel driver. IP Intel
> itself won't release for its own Linux drivers, but key to the unified
> model. Long story.

Could you tell us the long story? :)

According to this article:
http://news.com.com/New+Linux+look+fuels+old+debate/2100-7344_3-6061491.html

"On the flip side, Intel believes it can use open-source drivers to gain
against Nvidia and ATI. The strategy parallels the chipmaker's earlier
move with wireless networking support
<http://news.com.com/Linux+gets+Intel+help+with+Centrino/2100-7344_3-5172162.html?tag=nl>,
and it has won an ally in Red Hat. "Their partnering with the
open-source community is a pretty strong advantage," Stevens said.

Intel has new plans for its open-source graphics driver work, though
Hohndel wouldn't reveal details. "Our (graphics) drivers are open
source. We are bringing out some interesting new stuff. It's not
released yet," he said."