Re: [SLE] SUSE 10.1 -- quite impressive -- thanks to SuSE team
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:34:43 +1000
Kevanf1 wrote:
On 23/05/06, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, I think that it takes longer to boot.

But it may not be totally SuSE's fault- it could be the 2.6.x kernel
which according to Andrew Morton (it's main maintainer) says that it has
too many bugs. Linus (Torvald) agrees with him and states that perhaps
it is time to stop further development and fix the bugs. See article on
www.theinquirer.net dated 9/5/06 (do a search on either Torvald or Morton).

Cheers.

I've heard that about the kernel too. I've taken a look and the
magazine is Linux Format but it's issue 78 which is too new to show on
the website :-(

However, they claim a boot time of 50 seconds on their test PC for
SuSE 10. It was nearly double that on the same PC for 10.1 Obviously
it doesn't matter if you tend to leave your PC on 24/7 I don't,
however :-( The main PC lives in the bedroom and I do like to get
some sleep :-)))

Unbelievable - using the bedroom for sleeping. You must be over 40 years old then?

:-)

Cheers.

--
All answers questioned here.