Re: [SLE] SUSE 10.1 -- quite impressive -- thanks to SuSE team
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:19:09 +0200
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 20:26 +0100, Graham Anderson wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 May 2006 11:15, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > What's the boot up time like compared to 10? I've heard it averages
> > out at twice as long to boot 10.1 This came from a Magazine
> > comparison that I read.
>
> Bullshit... You heard wrong, i'd stop buying a magazine if it came up with
> results as innaccurate as that.
>
> It's marginally slower as AppArmor and ZMD also initialise on boot in addition
> to *almost the exact same* services that a default 10.0 installation has.
>
> But really, the difference is marginal.

I just booted both and see that in 10.0, the GUI login screen is started
immediately after the network devices are up, but before all the other
run level stuff is started. So, during the login, the system startup
continues in the background.

With 10.1 the GUI login seems to start after all the run level stuff is
completed.

So, perhaps the time is very similiar to get to the point when all is
started. But in 10.0 the login appears earlier.

--
Roger Oberholtzer