Re: [OT] Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- nVidia _did_ release open source for NV0x!
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:05:34 -0400
On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 10:17 -0300, Alvaro Kuolas wrote:
> I'm just mad, because the TNT2 is 7 years old, they don't sell it
> anymore and yet they can't release the datasheet of that chip.

Who says?

First off, nVidia _released_ 2D _and_ 3D/GLX drivers in the XFree86
3.3.x time-frame for the NV0x series -- _including_ the TNT2 and
original GeForce! The UtahGLX project (among a few others) then
released basic GLX drivers for it.

It's not nVidia's fault that the open source community hasn't kept up
those drivers.

Secondly, nVidia is _very_open_ with the 2D, codec and other features of
the chip. And they have published _some_ 3D interfaces. But when it
comes to releasing the software that the memory/interconnect management,
and more modern OpenGL/GLX capability, no, they haven't released that
_software_.

> But: What about Riva 128? Riva still holds "IP" from other companies?

Riva128 was _never_ supported by nVidia's unified driver.
_Only_ NV-series.

> 3dfx released a lot of datasheets on it's last breath (I have them, they
> are on dri.fredesktop.org).
> Well, in 20 years they will have no excuse!!!
> Right?

No, the _community_ has "no excuse"!
The nVidia code is _available_ for the NV0x chips!

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com