Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 11:58:27 +0200
Orn E. Hansen wrote:

> Usually this is a period, of a whole hour, and sometimes more. I've
> often mentioned it, and despite that this function is reduntant
> function from the old batch time hours of Unix, nobody has bothered
> removing it from the desktop linux environment.

If it is truly redundant, which other function is doing the same thing?
If you think the function is superfluous, just remove it.

But, as we are talking about SUSE Linux, I don't believe there is a
tickbox during installation that clearly says "For server use" or "For
desktop use" - so SUSE should try to cover most requirements.

> However, now when I write this, my machine is doing this horrible
> update of all manuals, which nobody reads anymore.

Personally, I read some or other man-page at least once every day.

> But I've finally been able to work on my machine while it was doing
> this. On all other occasions, even with a AMD64 3000+, my machine
> went to sleep ... and I could hardly browse the desktop during this
> hour of nonsense. But now, yes now I CAN ... but it took a desktop
> with a dual core CPU to do it. Go figure :-)

There isn't much to figure. Some of those daily runs are obviously
quite resource-intensive, so scheduling them for night-time is an
attempt to avoid inconveniencing the user. If they always kick in when
you're working, why not just reschedule them for a different time?

To the advantages of dual-core - provided your workload is concurrent, a
dual-core CPU will allow you to get _almost_ twice as much work done.
But with less power, less heat and in less space. And less overall
cost.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich