Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:56:09 +0200
On Saturday 27 May 2006 08:28, Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> I've been a bit amazed over the years, of the intense "updates" that
> usually are run in the cron, during the night times. Several times, I've
> been playing games, or just browsing the net on my desktop, during early
> morning hours, when my computer has gone to sleep when running the cron
> update. Usually this is a period, of a whole hour, and sometimes more.
> I've often mentioned it, and despite that this function is reduntant
> function from the old batch time hours of Unix, nobody has bothered
> removing it from the desktop linux environment.

Er, yes they have, it's disabled by default and only enabled if you expressly
install the findutils-locate package manually

Personally I like locate, it's by far the fastest way to find a file I have at
my disposal

> However, now when I write this, my machine is doing this horrible update
> of all manuals, which nobody reads anymore.

Call me nobody

> And rebuilding the structure
> of the entire files system (exageration, running several recursive finds),
> for what purpose only geniuses can figure.

Updating the locate database

> But I've finally been able to
> work on my machine while it was doing this. On all other occasions, even
> with a AMD64 3000+, my machine went to sleep ... and I could hardly browse
> the desktop during this hour of nonsense. But now, yes now I CAN ... but
> it took a desktop with a dual core CPU to do it. Go figure :-)

No, I would say the CPU has next to nothing to do with this. The job is so
heavily I/O bound that your CPU power is almost irrelevant.

If you have problems working while the job is running, you might want to have
a look at your DMA settings for the hard drives