Re: [SLE] IA-64
  • From: suse@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 12:21:25 -0400
LDB wrote:
> Carl Hartung wrote:
>> On Saturday 27 May 2006 11:24, LDB wrote:
>>
>>> Good question .. I am not sure but I can find out. May I prematurely ask
>>> why?
>>

>> The thought occurred to me that the version of SLES9 you're trying to
>> install might not be correct for Itanium processors... this was *just*
>> an intuitive guess. I suppose the correct request would be that you
>> describe the hardware platform sufficiently that we can start asking
>> intelligent questions. :-)
>>
>> Carl
>>

> Agreed .. Thanks Carl .. I will get that information. Stay tuned ..

I had the same thought as Carl... x86_64 vs. ia64.

x86_64 (sometimes called AMD64) is AMD's 64bit extension to ix86.

ia64 is only for Intel's Itanium machines, which are obscenely expensive
and quite rare. (And, as I understand it, Intel has dropped them and
recently started using x86_64 for some of its' new processors, but they
call it EM64T in order to save face.)

< Previous Next >