Problem compiling R with Suse 10.1
  • From: "Witold Wolski" <wewolski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 19:24:49 +0100
Hi,

I am trying to compile R (R-project.org) on Suse. I was doing it hundred of
times on different systems but this time there is a problem I don't know how
to cope with.

./configure produces the following error message:

checking whether C runtime needs -D__NO_MATH_INLINES... no
checking for xmkmf... /usr/X11R6/bin/xmkmf
configure: WARNING: I could not determine FPICFLAGS.
configure: error: See the file doc/html/R-admin.html for more information.

A search for this message gives a few hits but the answer is that not R but
the system (suse) is "broken". I think the same because I have never seen
this error before. Maybe some packages for X11 development. It's a bit
unfortunate that there is no selection like X11 development in the yast
installer.

Help is highly appreciated.

Kind regards
Eryk