Re: [SLE] Picassa for Linux
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 15:02:37 -0400
Daniel Bauer wrote:

"If you send a request to Googles servers, we record standard log information, including Internet Protocol addresses and information related to your request.

Hopefully, they'll get the local, behind the firewall address. ;-)

"Picasa for Linux isn’t open source; it uses a carefully tested version of Wine to run the current Windows version of Picasa. Wine itself is an open-source implementation of the Windows API. It runs on top of the X Window System and Linux or Unix."

Well, who accepts this can as well stay with M$ at all, IMHO. Google *uses* open source wine, but hides their own part. A game played very well and professionally by M$ since ages. It is definitively not what I understand the "linux way"...

One thing to bear in mind, is there's no requirement for a Linux app to be open source, unless you use open source to build it.