Re: [SLE] Problem compiling R with Suse 10.1
  • From: "Witold Wolski" <wewolski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 20:37:52 +0100
Thanks, a lot! Installing gcc-fortran solved the problem immediately.

On 5/27/06, Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Saturday 27 May 2006 20:24, Witold Wolski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile R (R-project.org) on Suse. I was doing it hundred
of
> times on different systems but this time there is a problem I don't know
> how to cope with.
>
> ./configure produces the following error message:
>
> checking whether C runtime needs -D__NO_MATH_INLINES... no
> checking for xmkmf... /usr/X11R6/bin/xmkmf
> configure: WARNING: I could not determine FPICFLAGS.
> configure: error: See the file doc/html/R-admin.html for more
information.

> A search for this message gives a few hits but the answer is that not R
but
> the system (suse) is "broken". I think the same because I have never
seen
> this error before. Maybe some packages for X11 development. It's a bit
> unfortunate that there is no selection like X11 development in the yast
> installer.
>
> Help is highly appreciated.

The message told you to read a file for more information

According to the included documentation file which the error message
references, if you are not using gcc as your compiler (package
gcc-fortran)
you need to explicitly set the FPICFLAGS environment variable. Exactly
what
it should be depends on your compiler

You might want to try installing gcc-fortran and using that instead