Re: [SLE] Picassa for Linux
  • From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 21:38:48 +0200
On Sat, May 27, 2006 15:02:37 PM -0400, James Knott
(james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >Well, who accepts this can as well stay with M$ at all,
> >IMHO. Google *uses* open source wine, but hides their own part. A
> >game played very well and professionally by M$ since ages. It is
> >definitively not what I understand the "linux way"...
>
> One thing to bear in mind, is there's no requirement for a Linux app to
> be open source, unless you use open source to build it.

You mean "unless you build it modifying _existing_ open source code",
don't you?

There is nothing in the GPL and other OSS licenses which prevents you
from using, say, gcc on Gnu/Linux to compile your _new_, _original_
source code and only sell the resulting binary with whatever license
you choose. There is plenty of proprietary software already ported to
Linux (Oracle, many CAD / EDA packages...) exactly because it _could_
remain proprietary and fully closed source.

Ciao,
Marco

--
Marco Fioretti mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 5 for low memory http://www.rule-project.org/

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986)

< Previous Next >