Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 23:12:02 +0200
On Saturday 27 May 2006 23:06, Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> Laugardaginn 27 maí 2006 16:56 skrifaði Anders Johansson:
> > No, I would say the CPU has next to nothing to do with this. The job is
> > so heavily I/O bound that your CPU power is almost irrelevant.
>
> This has always been the problem, the I/O traffic has top priority, so no
> matter how you prioritise the darned doodly doo ... you're just gonna have
> to take a break for an hour. However a dual CPU core, does help ...
> although I didn't expect it to.

I still think it's a problem with your DMA settings. If you have DMA enabled
on your hard drives, they can read from and write to your hard drives without
using the CPU. Without DMA, on the other hand, everything has to go through
the CPU, and that will seriously kill any system, regardless of the CPU power

Compare with viewing DVDs, for example. With DMA, you can view a DVD on a
relatively low end system. Without it, you get stuttering on even very good
systems

< Previous Next >