Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: "Orn E. Hansen" <orn_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 02:25:06 +0200
Sunnudaginn 28 maí 2006 00:50 skrifaði Carlos E. R.:
> Ah... so, someday you will notice that your log files use hundred of
> megabytes and they do not rotate. Or that some fonts do not work
> correctly. Or that your tmp directories are full. Or...
>
> Ok, it's your machine. But don't complain later.

However, your point about the log rotate is quite ok. Problem is, that
despite all this cronjob stuff, I still have to do a "rm -f /var/log/*.gz"
from time to time, as they're getting filled up. So, even if I do allow the
cron job to continue, it won't stop my harddisk from filling up, it'll just
delay it. The same applies to the job that's supposed to "clear" the tmp
directories. Most files in there will be owned be root jobs, they'll remain,
and won't be cleared on startup.

Ok, I stated in the subject field that I was ranting. I'm simply pointing
out, that on a modern desktop machine, it going asleep for an hour is
something that in my mind has the word "oobs" written all over it. A cron
job, is something that is to be done at lowest possible priority, imo. And
I'm just pointing out the irritating effects, not wether it can or can't be
"removed" from the system.

< Previous Next >