Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 03:02:35 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2006-05-28 at 02:25 +0200, Orn E. Hansen wrote:

> However, your point about the log rotate is quite ok. Problem is, that
> despite all this cronjob stuff, I still have to do a "rm -f /var/log/*.gz"
> from time to time, as they're getting filled up.

Then change the configuration: they are first compressed, then deleted
after some months.

> So, even if I do allow the
> cron job to continue, it won't stop my harddisk from filling up, it'll just
> delay it. The same applies to the job that's supposed to "clear" the tmp
> directories. Most files in there will be owned be root jobs, they'll remain,
> and won't be cleared on startup.

Then just tell it to delete those! Hint: /etc/sysconfig/cron

> Ok, I stated in the subject field that I was ranting. I'm simply pointing
> out, that on a modern desktop machine, it going asleep for an hour is
> something that in my mind has the word "oobs" written all over it. A cron
> job, is something that is to be done at lowest possible priority, imo. And
> I'm just pointing out the irritating effects, not wether it can or can't be
> "removed" from the system.

I agree that it slows the system some; but if your system is so slow as to
be unusable, you have something wrong there.

I will have a look at ionice when I install 10.1, it will be interesting.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson