Re: [SLE] 10.1: Extreme slow startup of acroread
  • From: Michael Nelson <michaelnel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 20:44:29 -0700
My investigations continue... in analyzing the tracelog, I see 5777 instances of opens
trying to open things that are clearly NOT directories while using the O_DIRECTORY flag
on the open:

open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/encodings.dir",
O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a directory)
<0.000021>

I am over my head here, but I did read in the open(2) man page the
following:

O_DIRECTORY If pathname is not a directory, cause the open to fail. This
flag is Linux-specific, and was added in kernel version
2.1.126, to avoid denial-of-service problems if opendir(3) is
called on a FIFO or tape device, but should not be used
outside of the implementation of opendir.

...so, it looks to this non programmer that they shouldn't be using the
O_DIRECTORY flag on an open() call, but what do I know? I'm just trying
to figure out why it takes this thing so long to open.

Michael

--

San Francisco, CA