Re: [SLE] Brute Force fix for Yast Updater and Zen for Newbies like myself
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 02:36:28 -0400
On Sunday 28 May 2006 02:17, Ralph Ellis wrote:
<snip>
> In the end, I had to fall back on the Genghis Khan brute
> force method of software install. I downloaded all of these files
> into a subdirectory and one by one manually typed in the rpm
> commands to install them with the following syntax
> rpm -Uhv --force --nodeps filename.rpm

This is a very bad idea. The only time you want to use the --force option is
when you are keeping track of the dependencies, yourself, and your plan is to
fulfill them later in the installation 'sequence' that you're working on at
the moment. Otherwise, you do risk experiencing serious system instabilities.

If you caught my response to Mike in the related thread a few minutes ago, I
believe the required -devel packages are part of 10.1. You can use the
'Software Management' module in YaST or download the packages into a
directory and run 'rpm -Uhv *.rpm --test'

If rpm reports no errors, you re-run the command but drop the '--test', as
follows (as root):

rpm -Uhv *.rpm
SuSEconfig
ldconfig

Once the required '-devel' packages are installed, you then install the set of
replacement 'updater system' packages.

regards,

Carl