Re: [SLE] Brute Force fix for Yast Updater and Zen for Newbies like myself
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <lmstone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 07:35:24 -0400
On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 02:36 -0400, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Sunday 28 May 2006 02:17, Ralph Ellis wrote:
> <snip>
> > In the end, I had to fall back on the Genghis Khan brute
> > force method of software install. I downloaded all of these files
> > into a subdirectory and one by one manually typed in the rpm
> > commands to install them with the following syntax
> > rpm -Uhv --force --nodeps filename.rpm
>
> This is a very bad idea. The only time you want to use the --force option is
> when you are keeping track of the dependencies, yourself, and your plan is to
> fulfill them later in the installation 'sequence' that you're working on at
> the moment. Otherwise, you do risk experiencing serious system instabilities.
>
> If you caught my response to Mike in the related thread a few minutes ago, I
> believe the required -devel packages are part of 10.1. You can use the
> 'Software Management' module in YaST or download the packages into a
> directory and run 'rpm -Uhv *.rpm --test'
>
> If rpm reports no errors, you re-run the command but drop the '--test', as
> follows (as root):
>
> rpm -Uhv *.rpm
> SuSEconfig
> ldconfig
>
> Once the required '-devel' packages are installed, you then install the set of
> replacement 'updater system' packages.
>
> regards,
>
> Carl

FWIW, I just downloaded all but the -devel and -debuginfo packages and
the remaining packages installed fine with no dependency errors.

It still hogs the cpu for more than a minute when I first log in, but at
least now the system is usable at 100% cpu utilization. It still
doesn't like when I use YaST to add package repositories, but we'll see
what happens with the next version.

A Message From... L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business"

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com

This email was sent from Reliable Networks of Maine LLC.
It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you suspect that you were not intended to receive it, please
delete it and notify us as soon as possible. Thank you.