Re: [SLE] 10.1: Extreme slow startup of acroread
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 07:37:59 -0500
Michael Nelson wrote:
My investigations continue... in analyzing the tracelog, I see 5777 instances of opens trying to open things that are clearly NOT directories while using the O_DIRECTORY flag on the open:

open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/encodings.dir",
O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a directory)
<0.000021>

I am over my head here, but I did read in the open(2) man page the
following:

O_DIRECTORY If pathname is not a directory, cause the open to fail. This
flag is Linux-specific, and was added in kernel version
2.1.126, to avoid denial-of-service problems if opendir(3) is
called on a FIFO or tape device, but should not be used
outside of the implementation of opendir.

...so, it looks to this non programmer that they shouldn't be using the
O_DIRECTORY flag on an open() call, but what do I know? I'm just trying
to figure out why it takes this thing so long to open.

Michael

Hi Michael,

can you check that YaST Software Management doesn't report missing dependencies.

If not than you might look
http://bugzilla.novell.com
and report the bug.

--