Re: Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- 90+% of the Linux community is too ignorant for legal issues
  • From: "Orn E. Hansen" <orn_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:42:03 +0200
Sunnudaginn 28 maí 2006 05:11 skrifaðir þú:
> Again, if SCO makes it through trial, IBM is going to _lose_ on
> _several_ counts. And that's when 90+% of the ignorant Linux community
> and 100% of the clueless IT media goes "how?"

As I stated in my earlier statement, all of SCO's claim is based on the same
existance as M$ is. An attitude of "monopoly", something that is forbidden
in the buisness world. We can discuss to the end of time, how on earth this
"clause" did come into the Unix world, or how on earth AT/T managed to get it
there. It doesn't matter, as it's not a decent practice. And is solely
based on "questionable" regime practices, that will take an end, one way or
the other.

I do agree, that many companies like IBM, Sun and HP did support Linux on
basis grounds of not having to pay the license for Unix. However, at the
time they did, Unix was not a competent product and had no competence status.
SCO's claim is on the sole basis, that IBM competet against SCO (and M$) and
not that it was competing against Unix. The questionable attitude of AT/T,
and later SCO, to hold up the Lincencing of Unix, to such a state that it
made Unix a completely incompetent product in the computer market, can and
should be interpreted as a common effort to bury the major computer firms.
M$ payup to SCO is, and should be, interpreted as a contribution to their
cause and not as a paying for the license which they never have.

This battle started, the very day M$ screwed up IBM, and they've been
fighting to bury Unix ever since even by "taking" code from it, as well Linux
code. And as I stated earlier, the biggest idiocy the Linux community ever
did, was to embrace "Linux" instead of BSD, which they should have. As the
Linux code has a very questionable "Xenix" origin, which is basically a
MicroSoft/SCO original product.

And the Linux world did very well in interpreting the status. If SCO wins,
which they may well do, it will be a death blow against the "corporate" state
of Linux. The status was very well said by Bill Gates himself, Linux is a
threat and should be burried ... and one way of doing, is killing the
corporations that are supporting it and giving code to it, to make it a
competent product in the corporate market. Nobody bothered with Unix,
because it was already burried by the AT/T license, that made it so expensive
that no white man could buy it on their private machine.

< Previous Next >