Re: [SLE] Re: Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- 90+% of the Linux community is too ignorant for legal issues
  • From: suse@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 11:59:46 -0400
Orn E. Hansen wrote:

> This battle started, the very day M$ screwed up IBM, and they've been
> fighting to bury Unix ever since even by "taking" code from it, as well Linux
> code. And as I stated earlier, the biggest idiocy the Linux community ever
> did, was to embrace "Linux" instead of BSD, which they should have. As the
> Linux code has a very questionable "Xenix" origin, which is basically a
> MicroSoft/SCO original product.

Excuse me? Linux was written from scratch. It had no connection to
Xenix. Torvalds had no access to Xenix source code. You can track
Linux's history from the consistent releases and patches posted directly
to the internet. By going through the archive, you can literally watch
how Linux was written.

Moreover, Torvalds used Minix to compile the early builds of Linux, so
you can't even take that angle...

As to Linux instead of BSD, the license is a crucial difference. Anyone
can steal BSD code. By forcing companies to put their own additions to
Linux back into the pool, it vastly accelerated Linux development.
Otherwise, no company would bother putting their work back into the
community.

Torvalds was also far more open and straightforward in dealing with
people than BSD's developers, who tended to be rather insular, as most
projects of the time were.

< Previous Next >