Re: [SLE] Re: Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- 90+% of the Linux community is too ignorant for legal issues
  • From: "Orn E. Hansen" <orn_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 18:23:22 +0200
Sunnudaginn 28 maí 2006 15:53 skrifaði Boyd Lynn Gerber:
> Yes, this is true. SCO(Caldera) wanted to opensource the PC side of the
> 64 bit stuff for Linux. IBM put a big cabash on it. For exactly the
> reasons stated. This point is what every one misses. IBM really was the
> bad guy. Linux would have been really further/farther ahead had IBM not
> been the Monopilist. Sadly this is what allowed the current situation to
> come about.

SCO was never about opening anything, and never will.

> I agree 100%. I fear we have not heard the last from this IBM Gorilla. I
> only hope that the larger force of change will show IBM the error of their
> ways and let the pro OSS attitude make headway inside IBM to the upper
> echolongs that allowed this to happen.

IBM is not a problem, they have a completely different market than anything
on the open source market. The Linux share, is the end user market, that
wants freedom. IBM is about their dynosaur Cray like machines, which are set
for large corporate entities. Linux has never been about "entering" that
world, however it has been the dream of SCO/Microsoft and any other small
middle company, to kill that big old Dynosaur, known as IBM and get their
share of the big heavy market.

I'm saddened to the amount of "corporate" people that are entering the Linux
community, and eventually you'll kill this project the same way you killed
Unix. Which is a sad thing, really ...

< Previous Next >