Re: [SLE] Brute Force fix for Yast Updater and Zen for Newbies like myself
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 12:24:53 -0400
On Sunday 28 May 2006 12:12, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> Based on my experience, yes. I downloaded them all. Saw that I had two
> dependencies for devel type pkgs. Deleted those two rpm's and installed
> all the rest.
>
> The pkgs weren't 'unnecessary' for some..... but they were for you since
> you didn't have those devel rpm's installed.

I'm afraid we're having one of those 'failure to communicate' moments. I asked
Mark a very specific question:

> if I'd actually 'filtered out' the -devel and -debug files, I wouldn't
> have run into the 12 dependencies?

I /understand/ how dependencies work, Bruce, and I'm reasonably competent at
resolving them down to the individual library level. My question was really
meant to discern... without reviewing the whole procedure again myself... if
changes to the original instructions are warranted as new questions about
this problem are posted to SLE.

I don't want to repeat the mistake of pointing people to that directory
without telling them "don't bother installing the '-devel' and '-debug'
packages. They've just been placed there for 'window dressing'. ;-)

Carl