Re: [SLE] Re: Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- 90+% of the Linux community is too ignorant for legal issues
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 11:38:29 -0500

This whole thread needs to move to the suse-ot list:

On Sunday 28 May 2006 7:42 am, Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> This battle started, the very day M$ screwed up IBM, and they've been
> fighting to bury Unix ever since even by "taking" code from it, as well
> Linux code. And as I stated earlier, the biggest idiocy the Linux
> community ever did, was to embrace "Linux" instead of BSD, which they
> should have. As the Linux code has a very questionable "Xenix" origin,
> which is basically a MicroSoft/SCO original product.

Xenix was pre-SCO and Microsoft's try at Unix scaled down (cost and
complexity) for small business. They spun it off so SCO could be a business
and Microsoft could license it so they could continue to use it internally.
SCO added Unix System 3 and 4 and X and other Unix software as customer
demand for Xenix lessened due it not having enough capabilities. Microsoft
continued to use Xenix internally for OS development (Windows through and
into 2000) and for internal financial accounting.

> And as I stated earlier, the biggest idiocy the Linux community ever did,
> was to embrace "Linux" instead of BSD

Now that has to be one of the strangest statements I've read in a long time.
Let's see here... the community that Linus Torvalds kicked off with the
kernel he began should have straightened him out and got him to go the BSD
route instead...

Stan

< Previous Next >