Re: [SLE] Re: Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- 90+% of the Linux community is too ignorant for legal issues
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 11:54:42 -0700
On Sunday 28 May 2006 08:59 am, suse@xxxxxx wrote:
> Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> > This battle started, the very day M$ screwed up IBM, and they've been
> > fighting to bury Unix ever since even by "taking" code from it, as well
> > Linux code. And as I stated earlier, the biggest idiocy the Linux
> > community ever did, was to embrace "Linux" instead of BSD, which they
> > should have. As the Linux code has a very questionable "Xenix" origin,
> > which is basically a MicroSoft/SCO original product.
>
> Excuse me? Linux was written from scratch. It had no connection to
> Xenix. Torvalds had no access to Xenix source code. You can track
> Linux's history from the consistent releases and patches posted directly
> to the internet. By going through the archive, you can literally watch
> how Linux was written.
>
> Moreover, Torvalds used Minix to compile the early builds of Linux, so
> you can't even take that angle...

Exactly.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.minix/browse_frm/thread/e3df794a2bce97da/2194d253268b0a1b?lnk=st&q=author%3Alinus+group%3Acomp.os.minix&rnum=8#2194d253268b0a1b

http://tinyurl.com/enhkc

IIRC, Xenix was a MS port of Unix combining System V (7?) and BSD. Linux had
nothing at all to do with it. Of course, Linux isn't an OS. If you all
recall, linux is simply a kernel and can do nothing without a boot loader,
filesystem and drivers. :)