Re: [SLE] Re: Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- 90+% of the Linux community is too ignorant for legal issues
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:08:26 -0400
On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 18:23 +0200, Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> SCO was never about opening anything, and never will.

You already said you know nothing about the Caldera case. So you have
already told me you don't know anything of what you're talking about.

> IBM is not a problem, they have a completely different market than anything
> on the open source market.

Like Caldera-SCO?
Like Sun?
Like HP?
And like Red Hat?

1 down, 3 to go.

> The Linux share, is the end user market, that wants freedom.

Could you be more specific?

> IBM is about their dynosaur Cray like machines, which are set for large
> corporate entities.

But what about pro-Linux companies that make money with select
commercial services, software and support?

Especially those companies that have given the _most_ GPL/LGPL?
Sun, Red Hat and HP?

And Novell is in that mix at some point too!

> Linux has never been about "entering" that world,

But the companies developing and releasing the _most_ GPL/LGPL and
pushing the _greatest_ Linux adoption _are_!

> however> it has been the dream of SCO/Microsoft and any other small
> middle company, to kill that big old Dynosaur, known as IBM and get their
> share of the big heavy market.

Which Caldera made the mistake of entering with their purchase of SCO.
A company that had a 100% Linux future on its mind, with all the
benefits for Linux. Caldera actually thought IBM would abide by their
contract terms.

IBM knows how 90+% of Linux advocates (and 100% of the IT media) works.

> I'm saddened to the amount of "corporate" people that are entering the Linux
> community, and eventually you'll kill this project the same way you killed
> Unix. Which is a sad thing, really ...

I'm saddened about how much people tune in for money.
They think IBM is pro-open source and is spending that $1B on it.
Or the $100M on Notes for Linux.

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com

< Previous Next >