Re: [SLE] Re: Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- 90+% of the Linux community is too ignorant for legal issues
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 17:20:08 +0200
On Sunday 28 May 2006 15:08, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> > And the Linux world did very well in interpreting the status.
>
> As of May 2003? Sort of.
> But as of March 2003? No!
>
> In Ransom Love's 2003 fall interview with eWeek, he pegged it 100% like
> I, Cox, ESR and even Linus himself _knew_.
>
> IBM _killed_ a _very_ pro-Linux company. Why?
> Because they were going to take away from their non-Linux sales.

http://news.com.com/2100-1016-991464.html

The article was written March 6, 2003

"We are alleging they have contaminated their Linux work with inappropriate
knowledge from Unix," said Chris Sontag, senior vice president of operating
systems at SCO and head of the company's SCOsource effort to make more money
from its intellectual property.
[...]
SCO hasn't sued other companies that have Linux products--for example, Red Hat
or SuSE, but Sontag didn't rule out such actions.

<end quote>

Now, can this thread please DIE