Re: Meta-discussion on the IP issues of GPUs and 3D -- 99.9% people never heard of Monterey
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:58:40 -0400
On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 17:20 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
> http://news.com.com/2100-1016-991464.html
> The article was written March 6, 2003

Yes, because 100% of the IT media didn't actually _read_ the brief and
recognize what it was in the March 2003 filing.

A _contract_ dispute.

SCO didn't have to prove junk. They only had to show that IBM violated
the Non-Compete by assisting Linux -- a violation of that contract to
share IP.

It wasn't until May 2003, when IBM didn't settle, that the Linux IP
"smokescreen" went up.

> "We are alleging they have contaminated their Linux work with inappropriate
> knowledge from Unix," said Chris Sontag, senior vice president of operating
> systems at SCO and head of the company's SCOsource effort to make more money
> from its intellectual property.

Yes! Exactly! You're misinterpreting that!
IBM had a _signed_contract_ with SCO to develop 64-bit UNIX!
That contract included a "Non-Compete"!

The March 2003 filing had _nothing_ to do with the USL purchase from
Novell, originally AT&T. It had 100% to do with IBM's _signed_contract_
to develop a 64-bit UNIX with SCO!

90+% of rabid Linux advocates didn't know that.
and 100% of the IT media didn't as well!

> [...]
> SCO hasn't sued other companies that have Linux products--for example, Red Hat
> or SuSE, but Sontag didn't rule out such actions.

That's c|Net leading SCO.
Which is what 100% of the IT media industry did.

Because 99.9% of people didn't have the faintest idea of what Monterey
was! IBM was _contractually_obligated_ to many things with SCO.

When IBM didn't settle, the rabid Linux advocates and IT media _gave_
SCO the "smokescreen" it could use to get more funding to make it to
trial. So they did so in May 2003 -- expanding the lawsuit to $3B and
the whole "Linux IP" FUD.

That's it in a nutshell!
And we helped SCO do it!
And we're supporting bully's like IBM!

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com

< Previous Next >