Re: [SLE] Re: Should I sit this one out?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 21:32:33 +0200
Bruce Marshall wrote:

> I've been using SuSE as long as you have but I always do a fresh
> install and haven't noticed any major change in system speed.

Like you, I never upgrade, although I keep the /home directory.
My very first SUSE install was a 4.4.1, bought in Hugendubel on
Marienplatz in Muenchen, then installed on an already dated 486DX2,
although it might have been a 200MHz Pentium Pro. Wow, almost 10 years
ago. I must be getting old ...

The only major changes in speed I've noticed was 1) the change from
YaST1 to YaST2 and 2) the recent introduction of Zen/Redcarpet etc.
Most of my hardware is below 1GHz clock and 2) in particular is quite
CPU-intensive.

dupont:/home/per/ibwd # time rug remove samba-doc
Waking up ZMD...Done
Resolving Dependencies...

The following packages will be removed:
samba-doc 3.0.22-16 (system)