Re: [SLE] Should I sit this one out?
  • From: Sargon <sml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:40:37 -0500
On Tuesday, 30 May 2006 06:56, Hans du Plooy wrote:

> Our office runs SUSE on a number of desktops, and it's constantly
> installed on development boxes for various purposes. No version
> of SUSE (since I first used 6.1) have had any serious issues, and
> any major show-stoppers have had prompt updates available.

Well said.

> I'm running 10.1 OSS on my notebook, with some unusual hardware, I
> might add, and I'm completely happy with it. Yes, there are a few
> new things that needs some extra polish, but nothing that would
> prevent me from buying the box set. In fact, I have already placed
> my order.

Same here. My Ferrari 4006WLMi runs faster, and with far fewer
hardware issues, than under 10.0. This is the finest SuSE release I
have run, going back to 4.2 10 years ago.

> Also, there is still the "dot zero release" fud going around. I
> don't see why. SUSE 9.0 had no major changes over 8.2 - in fact, I
> think they should have called it 8.3. 9.1, however, had a new
> kernel and everything that goes with it. Similarly, 8.1 switch to
> GCC3. 8.0 was incredibly sweet, 8.1 had a few issues with the GCC
> change - things not working as expected etc. but that was the
> situation for all distros moving to GCC3. 9.0, in my opinion was
> one of the sweetest releases. I have had not as single proble on
> any of the machines I installed it on. 9.1 was the beginning of a
> new era, I didn't like it's desktop performance, this was a "dot
> zero release" in my books (it was still truckloads better than any
> fedore or mdk release I tried). 9.2 was better, 9.3 was more
> better, 10, even with the move to GCC4, was, for me, the pinnacle
> of the 9 series. 10.1, I see as the "dot zero release" of this
> cycle, but even so, I have no issues with it.

Again, well said. I have had the same experiences, which is why I
still run SuSE on numerous boxes at work (as servers and desktops),
and my wife and I run it on every PC and laptop at home. Yes, at work
we try new releases of Debian (and its offspring), *BSD (including
the recent "desktop" offspring), Fedora, and CentOS, but, after all
the testing, we continue to use SuSE: it "just works" for us.

< Previous Next >