Re: [SLE] New 10.1 x86_64 install has NO usb connectivity
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:47:04 -0400
On Tuesday 30 May 2006 08:09, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> appears that usbls, sub_storage and scsi_mod are not being loaded. How
> do I force them to load on boot?

Hi Patrick,

I don't know if every module under SUSE has the same name under ubuntu or not.
And since there are dependencies to consider, you might find the 'lineup'
changes considerably after just one (manual) module substitution. IOW, the
differences you're seeing could be due to module names (speculation) or the
correct 'parent' module(s) aren't being loaded.

If it were my system, I'd inventory every module related to usb being loaded
by ubuntu and carefully compare that list to those being loaded by SUSE,
including dependencies. Excerpt from 'lsmod' on my system:

Module Size Used by
ohci_hcd 20228 0
usbcore 112512 3 usbhid,ohci_hcd

This shows that 'usbhid' and 'ohci_hcd' are using usbcore. You want to look
for comparable dependencies under both SUSE and ubuntu, then adjust the
modules in SUSE accordingly.

I believe you can make these changes in SUSE using the YaST module
"/etc/sysconfig Editor".
System > Kernel > INITRD_MODULES

> btw: lost grub and the first ide harddrive went flakey. Spent two days
> getting grub back :^(. "Linux is a LEARNING experience"

What a pain! And, yes, it is a learning experience. At least we all know it's
a moving target, too, if that makes you feel any better. ;-)

regards,

Carl