a good Open Source scheduler/batch system for Linux? (was: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:40:51 +0200
Joachim Schrod wrote:

>> I think what batch perhaps implies is sequentiality within a job, but
>> a pile of batchjobs is certainly not sequential by default.
>
> Ah, that's one of the reasons to switch to CA7. There you can define
> that job steps are independent and can be executed in parallel. Some
> wizards can even bind that parallelization to resource availability;
> though that's not my level of expertise.

Funny you should mention that - that was _my_ expertise. I spent a
couple of years in the late 80s optimising tape-drive resources to the
workload - yes, "workload balancing", that what it was called in CA7.
Once you'd grasped the concept, you could do some absolute wonders with
it.

I'm not sure about making jobsteps independent - if they're all in the
same JCL-member, there's nothing CA7 can do. I think you might be
talking about the situation where each job is a single step? I've
never worked with that - we always had several steps in most jobs.

> Bringing this thread back to SUSE and Linux: Anybody knows a good Open
> Source scheduler/batch system for Linux? batch and cron are a joke,
> and LSF is (a) expensive and (b) overshoot for single systems. We
> always start to write own, more or less application-specific,
> schedulers in Perl, but that's not a real solution.

Amen. Do let me know if you ever find something. Occasionally I sorely
miss CA7.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich