Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (5130 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] Should I sit this one out?
  • From: mikus@xxxxxxx (Mikus Grinbergs)
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 22:11:40 -0500
  • Message-id: <slQfElW2vTRC092yn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I'm somebody who *likes* to install newer code. Got the 10.1
distribution CDs/DVD as packaged and shipped by Novell.
Decided to apply it to my x86_64 system (Radeon X800 display
controller), which had "happily" been running SuSE 10.0.

First I booted from the DVD and ran "update the system". The
update itself (10.1 on top of 10.0) gave no problems, but the
resulting system went into an UNRECOVERABLE 'black screen' at
the point where it was supposed to allow me to log on. This
'black screen' result was the SAME whether I booted into
'init 5' or into 'init 3', or even when doing 'failsafe boot'.
What really threw me was that, looking with the rescue system,
there was no footprint anywhere (/var/log, nor any other place
I could think of) of things going "crook" during the boots --
all log files, etc., showed what I consider "normal" entries.

So I said, "'update the system' doesn't work, I'll try a clean
install of 10.1 instead". That resulted in a bootable system.
BUT what was being shown on my display screen was GROSSLY
"blown up". The best way I can describe it is as though the
system were creating a 1280x1024 display image (that's my video
resolution), but then selecting a 640x480 area from that image,
and ENLARGING that selected area to occupy my whole screen.
(Fonts in particular looked like sh**!) And when I tried to
run 'sax2' (even from a tty, even with '-l'), the enlarged SaX
window extended so much PAST my actual screen borders that none
of the SaX controls (nor scrollbars) looked accessible to me to
even make __use__ of SaX. [In other words, the tool that ought
to take me out of the problem could not be used - *because* of
the problem ! ] Maximum frustration !!


--------

[Ran (using apt-get) all the 10.1 package updates I could find.
Did not make any difference to the "gross" graphic session.]

Don't know what I did, but by "diddling" with xorg.conf (basically
I auto-defined xorg.conf with a dual_head template, then used an
editor to manually delete all mention of the second head from that
file) I finally got the system to use the 1280x1024 screen size.
Whew. [But for hours there, I was not at all a happy camper ! ]

Rightly or wrongly, I'm blaming a "poorly done port to SuSE of the
Xorg 6.9 radeon driver" for my struggles with 10.1.

mikus


< Previous Next >
References