Re: packagemanagement in 10.1
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 08:00:17 -0700
About this list being about the community... I did not ask help in
regards of the package management (though I need it). I was pointing
out that the OpenSUSE community can not hide behind "linux is about
choices" mantra. SUSE needs to clear out the package management mess.
And the way to do that is pick one - and make it work - and make that
the default that is in YaST.

HG

On 5/26/06, Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
fredag 26 maj 2006 11:28 skrev HG:
> Yes,there are many people that know other mechanisms could be used -
> but many dare not even try. Why? Because nobody knows if it will break
> the distribution or not. (Yes, I'm one of these...) It is totally
> unclear what happens if one uses apt-get to update SUSE. Does the YaST
> package management work correctly after that? Do the security updates
> work anymore?

Unless I'm mistaken Apt is not included on 10.1 - but Smart is - or Yum. You
can use these other rpm-frontends - and it won't cause problems with
yast/zen/rug. Of course if you install unsupported packages with Smart it
will affect security updates - but that's it. Now that the security updates
are fed via a normal repo you can also install the official security updates
with Smart for example.

And please keep in mind this list is for community discussions. Technical
questions about released versions belong on suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx

Martin / cb400f