Re: [opensuse] Re: packagemanagement in 10.1
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 19:44:46 +0200
fredag 26 maj 2006 11:28 skrev HG:
> Yes,there are many people that know other mechanisms could be used -
> but many dare not even try. Why? Because nobody knows if it will break
> the distribution or not. (Yes, I'm one of these...) It is totally
> unclear what happens if one uses apt-get to update SUSE. Does the YaST
> package management work correctly after that? Do the security updates
> work anymore?

Unless I'm mistaken Apt is not included on 10.1 - but Smart is - or Yum. You
can use these other rpm-frontends - and it won't cause problems with
yast/zen/rug. Of course if you install unsupported packages with Smart it
will affect security updates - but that's it. Now that the security updates
are fed via a normal repo you can also install the official security updates
with Smart for example.

And please keep in mind this list is for community discussions. Technical
questions about released versions belong on suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx

Martin / cb400f