Re: [opensuse] packagemanagement in 10.1
  • From: Richard Bos <radoeka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:47:53 +0200
Op vrijdag 19 mei 2006 15:10, schreef Siegbert Baude:
> >> I'll see if I can help with this tonight, but I believe apt4rpm=smart as
> >> the developer(s) of the first have moved on to the second.
> >
> > This is not correct.  apt and smart are 2 complete different beasts.  The
> > apt-rpm developers indeed moved to smart, but in the meantime other
> > people have taken over apt-rpm development.  This resulted in the
> > addition of repodata [1] support.
> >
> > [1] Same format as yast/you repository
>
> Interesting. As the apt4rpm mailing list is dead since months, I also
> believed the project is not active anymore.

apt4rpm and apt-rpm are 2 different things...
apt4rpm is software to support the creation of repositories, it is heavily
used on gwdg.de for example.

apt-rpm provides the apt client (among other things). It just saw a release
today: http://freshmeat.net/projects/apt-rpm/

> As you're one of the persons
> with most insight, what would you recommend for 10.1? Smart or apt4rpm?

The comparison should be smart vs apt-rpm. Nowadays it should not matter, as
the repository is standardized on repodata format. This should be supported
by all clients, like smart, yum, yast/zen, apt and what more do you have.

> Can you maybe shed some lights on the differences or give a pointer to a
> doc, where they are compared?

No, I don' have. But I assume that google might help you out with this
question ;)

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless