Re: [opensuse] alternative window managers
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 23:42:06 -0700

houghi wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 03:31:08PM -0700, J Sloan wrote:
>> I'm not sure why Mr Moenkenberg put it the way he did, but the way to get an
>> icewm session is to select icewm from the session menu at the login screen and
>> log in.
>
> run `wmlist` to see what else you have.

Bravo - I actually hadn't known about that utility until now.

> To test you can do the following: open a terminal and run:
> `startx icewn -- :1`
> That will open a second X-session. You can switch between them with
> [CTRL][AL][F7] and [CTRL][AL][F8]. If you do something you do not know how
> to get rid of, you can just do a [CTRL][C] in the terminal and it kills
> off rather unnicly the other session.
>
> I use it for the occasional times I want to look at the horrors others
> call KDE or GNOME (Brrrr). Windowmaker just running fine here, thank you.

Well...I've been using mostly kde for the past 2 years, but I had used gnome a
lot in the past and have lately been checking it out again (since the
gnome/xgl stuff that appeared in 10.1). I've also spent some using e17, wmaker
and xfce.

I used to use used blackbox and icewm, which are great for low resource
machines or servers, but for a full function/all purpose desktop, gnome or kde
are what work best for me.

Joe

< Previous Next >