Re: [opensuse] [RFC] Reducing Online Update Requirements
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 22:43:07 +0200
Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:04:20PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>>
>> some time ago, I invented Delta-RPMs to reduce the needed time
>> and bandwidth for online updates.
>
> Hey, don't write such things. Your scheme had nothing to do with
> the ways deltarpms work.

Current Delta-RPMs are indeed very different from what I invented
back then.

You changed the diffing algorithm from xdelta to bsdiff, added
support for deltas-against-installed and changed the format from
delta archive to rpm package, rewrote the whole thing from scratch.
Probably a few other changes I forgot.

Don't understand me wrong, I like the way Delta-RPMs are now.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/