Re: [opensuse] Registration in 10.1
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:41:34 +0200
Hi all,
On Saturday 13 May 2006 21:28, Erhard Sanio wrote:
> Thanks for your response and all other.
>
> Still I feel that demanding registration is a wrong way
> and should be abandoned. Politely asking for some information
> is a totally different thing. I would not hesitate to tell
> the project people a lot about hardware, software and
> general usage of Linux on any of my machines or just
> fill them in for statistical purposes.

I would like to bring in some facts into this discussion.

We're talking abouth the automatic Onling Update Configuration. The purpose is
to get a suitable update source configured for one's system. In order to
deliver that service Novell's backend service needs to know a few things:
- unique identifier
- system architecture
- product and product version
- time zone

Optionally we kindly ask our users to also pass some hardware and other
optional information to Novell. This is completely optional. So if anyone
does not like to do so, simply deselect these two check boxes and no
information besides the above ones will be sent to Novell.

Still your update service will be automatically configured. So there is no
need to actually skip the step.

The IP address is never part of that whole process. Backtracing to single
devices and personal data are not part of the process either. This fact can
easily be proven by reviewing the logfiles and the source code of the
underlying suse_register package.

We just discovered a bug inside the system which leads to the wrong impression
we were asking for more than this when you click on "Details". This bug will
be fixed with one of our next updates. Apologies for that. If you call
"suse_register -p -d 2" you can actually see what the server returns for the
parameter list request (-p). The XML output of the server shows which
parameters actually are marked "mandatory".

Regards
Michael