Re: [opensuse] Release DVD, Website etc.
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 21:38:33 -0500
Erhard Sanio wrote:
There have been some complaints that the Release DVD is not available at the same time as the Release being submitted to the public. I do not back those complaints.

I fully understand that there are some days, up to a
week or bit more, between stable release and DVD. The
DVD iso, derived from the CDs or the build dir, has
to be built and tested before being given out. For
impatient people, susedvd does all the job. Once
successful they may share their work via ptp.

Anyway, Opensuse Website is a legitimate subject for complaint. Notoriously, SuSE development is reported
more timely and comprehensively at Slashdot, Heise, theregister etc. than on www.opensuse.org. Content
Management through Mediawiki is an idea which works
when many people are busy and eager to update. On
opensuse.org, this does not seem to be the case. Ok, the
other danger, that saboteurs or harassers spoil the
content, does not apply either. Fortunately.

Anyway, Opensuse Website misses all and any expectation
I would hold against the web presence of the possibly
second most distributed Linux distribution. I would
expect to be informed timely and truthfully about the
next events, distributions, downloads, download formats,
everything.
Somebody stated that a number of German elementary schools maintain better and more timely updated web
servers than oensuse does. This should be a challenge
to be met in the future.

regards, E. Sanio

Join us Erhard.
More hands make more job done, and there is huge pile ahead.
You will be never bored. Few minutes here, few there and in a year that makes nothing to you and a lot for community.

--
Regards,
Rajko.

< Previous Next >